Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Jalapeño Poppers with Bacon


This take on jalapeno poppers eliminates the breading and deep frying, making them gluten free and low carb, as well as extremely easy to make. These are so delicious, I'd make them even if they weren't simple to put together. 

You only need three ingredients: jalapeno peppers, cream cheese, and bacon. Bacon makes everything better, right?


As soon as I saw these jalapeno peppers at our local farmers' market, I knew poppers were in my future. 





Cut the peppers in half length-wise. 





Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and membrane. If you like spicy food, leave in a couple seeds. 

For the first time in my life, when handling hot peppers, I erred on the side of caution and wore latex gloves. I simply cleaned out the peppers with my fingers. I seriously recommend the gloves if you don't want burning fingers for the next 24 hours. 





I didn't leave any seeds - I'm a wimp!




Chop or crumble the cooked bacon into small chunks. 




I decided to mix the cream cheese and bacon pieces together in a bowl before filling the peppers. 




Fill each pepper with the cream cheese/bacon mixture. 





I had a little extra bacon. I never consider extra bacon a problem. Sprinkle any leftover bacon on top of each pepper (or is it now considered a 'popper'?).




Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. 





For the two of us, I used:


  • jalapenos - 6 whole peppers = 12 poppers
  • cream cheese - about 1/3 of an 8 ounce package
  • bacon - 3 pieces

The great thing about this recipe is it's easy to make as many or as few as you want. The difficult part is trying to stop eating them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment